Monday, December 2, 2013

Goal Analysis: Gustav Nyquist's NHL Return - Part 2

Gustav Nyquist is the best.

I broke down Nyquist's first NHL goal this season here, and now, I'm going to break down his second of the season, which also happened to be in the same game.  Oh, and it ended up being the game winner.

Here's the video the awesomeness:


And the breakdown begins...now!


The play starts with Carolina skating up the ice with the puck.  With a one goal lead under 5 minutes left, the Wings are making sure they have all the skaters back to prevent an odd-man rush.  Hank is doing his job and forcing the puck towards the boards.  It looks like Nyquist just got on the ice (based on his position to the bench and the door still being open) and appears to be a little flat-footed.  Carolina has all 5 guys in the neutral zone and are looking to create a scoring chance.


Gus and Hank force the Carolina player to move the puck towards the player on the boards.  The Wings are still in a good defensive position, with both d-men back and Mule available to cover the high slot.  Note how I'm counting all the Carolina players.  This will matter soon.  What happens next?


The Carolina player carries the puck down the boards, with E covering him and making sure he doesn't get inside.  Zetterberg and Franzen do a good job of covering the other Carolina players entering the zone.  If you check out the lines above, those are meant to represent passing lanes.  All four options are blocked by either Hank or Mule.  It's easy for this keyboard warrior to say, but the best play is probably to shoot the puck around the boards and have number 27 on the right point pick up the puck and try to set up.  This doesn't happen.


As you can see, the puck was passed towards the player going to the slot (number 15).  Mule does a good job and eliminates him so he can't receive the pass.  Hank does a good job of being between the guy he's defending and his own net.  At this point, Nyquist is high in the zone.  After getting his stride back, he's off to cover the trailer in the middle of the ice.  Him being flat-footed earlier is about to be a good thing.  In the interviews after the game, Gus said he called for the puck, so I would imagine that would be happening just about now when he realizes that Hank is going to have the puck on his stick.


Hank does a good skate-to-stick puck handling thing, because he's Hank.  Check out the 5th Carolina player - he realizes right about now that he's the last guy back and there is a guy behind him.  Hank doesn't have much time, so he makes a smart play and lightly shoots the puck out of the zone.  He knows with Nyquist's speed, it shouldn't be too big of an issue for him to pick it up.


So, not really much for me to break down from this point on.  Hank lobs the puck off the boards and Gus goes and gets it and goes 5 hole on Peters (which is really funny to me because I have a story that I don't think is meant for public knowledge and I don't want to piss anybody off (or get sued (mostly the lawsuit part (parenthesis)))).  But I mean while I'm here I might as well keep going with the play right?



I'll spread my WINGS and I'll learn how to fly...
I'll do what it takes, 'till I touch the sky...


Almost there.  Wait for it....


Awesome.  Wait, one last thing...


GOOSE LEAP!!!!  Let's get a better picture:

AP/Carlos Osorio

And that's the analysis OKAY FINE ONE MORE PIC OF THE GOOSE LEAP:


DRW/Dan Mannes

Okay, I'm done with Goose Leap things...for now.  Let's summarize this goal:

  • The Wings are trying to protect a lead so have all five guys back
  • Carolina is trying to put pressure on so they have all five guys on the rush (mistake)
  • Franzen makes a great defensive play and takes out the guy receiving the pass
  • Hank makes a genius move to get the puck to Goose
  • Gustav Nyquist is really good at hockey
You know the drill - yell at us on the twitter:

Michelle - @slapshotg0al
Kevin - @KevinN37
Blue Line Patrol - @BlueLinePatrol

Until next time...GO WINGS!!!

2 comments:

  1. Keep writing these posts. I know you don't get a bazillion comments, but I've been reading this (and puckingwings) for some time now, and I'm quite impressed.

    It's a nice break from reading comments on mlive, redwingscentral, yahoo, hockeybuzz, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support! Cool to see that people are reading and enjoying these (And hopefully learning a thing or two about the game). I learn a ton by doing them. IF you have any requests, please let me know!

      Delete